Arts & Culture
Fri June 29, 2012
Any Questions? #44
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel offer a serious, sobering look at pop music's famous love songs.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name LIANE HANSEN. Drop one letter, then rearrange the remaining 10 letters to spell two one-word movie titles. What are they? (As a hint, one movie is from the 1950s, and the other is from the 1970s.)
Answer: If you drop an N, you can spell SHANE and ALIEN.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "LOVE" SONGS
On-air questions: On June 29, 1976, "Silly Love Songs" by Wings was the No. 1 song in the U.S., according to Billboard magazine. So, this week, our quiz is about other top hits with the word LOVE in the title.
1. 1992 number-one hit by Whitney Houston featured on the soundtrack to The Bodyguard
2. 1964 number-one hit by The Beatles with the lyrics "I may not have a lot to give / but what I've got I'll give to you / for I don't care too much for money"
3. 1968 number-one hit by The Doors whose title is followed in the chorus alternately by "won't you tell me your name" and "let me jump in your game"
4. 1984 number-one hit by Tina Turner, the title of which was later used as the name of a 1993 biographical film starring Angela Bassett as Turner
5. 1982 number-one hit by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts later parodied by "Weird Al" Yankovic as "I Love Rocky Road"
1. 1965 number-one hit by The Supremes that is the only song with an exclamation point in the title that fits the category
2. 1981 number-one hit by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie which was the title song to a Brooke Shields movie, and has been called "the greatest duet of all time" by Billboard magazine
This week's challenge
Think of a 1960s number-one hit song whose title starts with the word LOVE. Rearrange the letters in the other two words in the title to spell something a band might record. What is the song and what is the thing?
1. "I Will Always Love You"
2. "Can't Buy Me Love"
3. "Hello, I Love You"
4. "What's Love Got To Do With It"
5. "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"
1. "Stop! In The Name of Love"
2. "Endless Love"