Most Active Stories
- Next In NYS: Legal Marijuana?
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, And Statins Do, Too
- Family Of Norman Rockwell Angered Over Conclusions Drawn In New Rockwell Biography
- Dr. Robert Levenson, University of California Berkeley - Genetics of Marital Bliss
Arts & Culture
Fri July 6, 2012
Any Questions? #45
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel venture to the land of 10,000 trivia questions with a quiz about Minnesota.
Last week's challenge
Think of a 1960s number-one hit song whose title starts with the word LOVE. Rearrange the letters in the other two words in the title to spell something a band might record. What is the song and what is the thing?
Answer: The song is “LOVE ME DO,” and the thing is a DEMO.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MINNESOTA
On-air questions: On July 6, 1974, A Prairie Home Companion broadcast its first live show from St. Paul, Minnesota. (Twelve people attended the broadcast.) In honor of what is now one of the most popular shows on public radio, our quiz this week is about the great state of Minnesota.
1. Minnesota-based retailer whose subsidiary company, Geek Squad, provides technical assistance for computers and other electronic equipment
2. Any three of the four states that border Minnesota
3. Author of the novels Babbitt, Elmer Gantry, and Main Street, and who was the first American author to win the Nobel Prize for literature
4. Onetime mayor of Minneapolis, who also served in the Senate on two different occasions, both before and after his term as Lyndon Johnson's vice president
5. Title characters of a 1950s-60s cartoon series who lived in the fictional town of Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, and whose escapades frequently involved thwarting the plans of Boris and Natasha
1. Minneapolis sports venue which is the only one that has hosted a Super Bowl, an NCAA Final Four game, and a World Series
2. Minnesota town that is home to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum, and also the setting for the television series Little House on the Prairie
This week's challenge
Start with the name SAINT PAUL. Change one letter, then rearrange the result to spell the name of a famous ship. What is it?
1. Best Buy
2. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
3. Sinclair Lewis
4. Hubert Humphrey
5. Rocky and Bullwinkle
1. The Metrodome
2. Walnut Grove