Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Arts & Culture
Fri July 13, 2012
Any Questions? #46
Call it a Black Sabbath: WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel have their darkest show yet.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name SAINT PAUL. Change one letter, then rearrange the result to spell the name of a famous ship. What is it?
Answer: If you change the P to an I, you can spell LUSITANIA.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "BLACK"OUT
On-air questions: July 13, 1977 was the beginning of the infamous New York City blackout, which lasted until late the next evening. So this week, we'll have out own blackout: each correct answer will contain the word BLACK. For example, if the clue was "Device on an airplane that records flight data," the answer would be BLACK BOX.
1. Two-word term for what has been, each year since 2005, the busiest shopping day of the year
2. Nursery rhyme which may have originally been a complaint against taxes on wool in medieval England
3. Title character of a series of books by Walter Farley about a wild horse befriended by a boy who works with a trainer to prepare the horse for a series of races
4. 1966 hit song by the Rolling Stones, which was the first number-one song in the U.S. to feature a sitar as a main instrument
5. Cocktail consisting of vodka and coffee liqueur that has a "white" version which also contains a dairy product, usually cream
1. Academy-Award nominated actress for her portrayal of Jack Nicholson's girlfriend in the 1970 film Five Easy Pieces
2. South African choral group that gained international fame after singing on Paul Simon's 1986 album Graceland
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase BLACK TIE. Rearrange these eight letters to spell two four-letter synonyms. What are they?
1. Black Friday
2. "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep"
3. The Black Stallion
4. "Paint It, Black"
5. Black Russian
1. Karen Black
2. Ladysmith Black Mambazo