Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Arts & Culture
Fri August 17, 2012
Any Questions #51
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are all about the Brians this week.
Last week's challenge
Gold is the traditional gift for a 50th anniversary, so here's a challenge inspired by that: Think of a 5-letter word beginning with P that describes something flat. Add AU (as in the chemical symbol for gold) to the end of this word, and you'll get another word that describes something flat. What are the words?
Answer: The words are PLATE and PLATEAU.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS BRIANS
On-air questions: On August 17, 1979, Monty Python's Life of Brian was released in theaters. Inspired by that film, our quiz this week is about other famous Brians.
1. Broadcaster who succeeded Tom Brokaw as anchor of the NBC Nightly News in December of 2004
2. Rock band featuring guitarist Brian May, who wrote many of the band's classic songs, including 1977's “We Will Rock You”
3. Office held by Brian Mulroney from 1989 to 1993, which was also once held by Pierre Trudeau and is currently held by Stephen Harper
4. Actor who has won two Tonys for Best Lead Actor in a Play, first for his 1999 portrayal of Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman, and then for his role in Long Day's Journey Into Night in 2003
5. Musician whose 2004 album Smile was originally intended to be the follow-up to the 1966 album Pet Sounds
1. Event in which Brian Boitano won a gold medal at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Calgary
2. Musical entrepreneur and manager of whom Paul McCartney said, "If anyone was the Fifth Beatle, it was [him]."
This week's challenge
Start with the name of the musician and producer BRIAN ENO. Change one letter to a T, then rearrange the result to spell a certain type of singer. What is it?
1. Brian Williams
3. Prime Minister of Canada
4. Brian Dennehy
5. Brian Wilson
1. Figure skating
2. Brian Epstein