Arts & Culture
Fri August 24, 2012
Any Questions #52
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel have the munchies for purely wholesome reasons.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name of the musician and producer BRIAN ENO. Change one letter to a T, then rearrange the result to spell a certain type of singer. What is it?
Answer: If you change one of the Ns, you can spell BARITONE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: SNACK FOODS
On-air questions: On August 24, 1853, according to local legend, a cook at Moon's Lake House in Saratoga Springs named George Crum fried paper-thin slices of potato until they were crispy, salted them, and created what he called “Saratoga chips,” which we know better today as potato chips. Inspired by that bit of folklore, our quiz this week is about snack foods.
1. Cookie that celebrated its 100th birthday in March 2012 by releasing a variety with birthday-cake flavored creme between the two chocolate cookies
2. Snack food that was the subject of a now-closed Philadelphia museum, a tour of which included a demonstration by a woman who could hand-twist 57 of them in one minute
3. Snack food whose “mixed” variety must state, according to a 1977 F. D. A. regulation, if any component of the mixture makes up more than 50 percent of the package by weight
4. Cracker developed in the early 19th century by, and named after, a Presbyterian minister who used it as a staple in a diet he believed would curb “impure thoughts”
5. Snack food that, contrary to a popular urban legend, does not have an indefinite shelf life despite the chemicals used in its production
1. Snack food advertised by Chester Cheetah, who proclaimed the product was “the cheese that goes crunch”
2. Term for a trail mix-like snack, often eaten by hikers, that likely does not come from the names of the four major ingredients in the mix
This week's challenge
Think of the eight-letter brand name of a popular snack food beginning with P. If you change one letter to an S, you can rearrange the result to spell another word beginning with P that names certain types of beverages. What is the brand name and what are the beverages?
3. Mixed nuts
4. Graham cracker
2. Gorp (the four ingredients are granola, oats, raisins, and peanuts)