Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Arts & Culture
Fri October 5, 2012
Any Questions? #58
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel embark on a trivial pursuit of happiness with a Before and After show.
Last week's challenge
Think of two five-letter synonyms for “stupid person.” One starts with D, and the other starts with I. Drop one letter, and you can rearrange the remaining nine letters to spell a process that a stupid person probably isn't very good at. What are the synonyms and what is the process?
Answer: The synonyms are DUNCE and IDIOT. If you drop an I, you can spell DEDUCTION.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: BEFORE AND AFTER
On-air questions: This week, each answer has two parts that overlap by one word. Here's an example: if the clue was “Series of compositions by Bach about the star of Sister Act,” the answer would be “Whoopi Goldberg Variations.” As a hint, each answer will contain the name of an actor or actress.
1. Brand of spiced rum produced by the narrator of the documentary March of the Penguins
2. Painting depicting the star of Malcolm X in a boat on a river during the Revolutionary War
3. Policy that prohibited the star of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes from interfering in the affairs of countries in the Western Hemisphere
4. National anthem whose melody was used for the song “My Country, 'Tis of Thee” written for the rapper who starred in the TV series "Living Single"
5. Lowest possible temperature to which the star of Fiddler on the Roof can be cooled
1. Tool used by do-it-yourselfers to put together the director of Hannah and Her Sisters from a kit
2. 1977 movie in which Richard Dreyfuss becomes obsessed with UFOs and with the star of the television series Damages
This week's challenge
Of the 129 Saturday Night Live cast members (as of May 2012), only two have names that can form a Before and After. That is, the last name of one is the first name of another. Who are the actors? (As a hint, these two actors weren't cast members at the same time, but they have starred in movies together.)
1. Captain Morgan Freeman
2. Denzel Washington Crossing the Delaware
3. Marilyn Monroe Doctrine
4. “God Save the Queen Latifah”
5. Absolute Zero Mostel
1. Woody Allen wrench
2. Glenn Close Encounters of the Third Kind