Most Active Stories
- MA And CT Declare State Of Emergency, Issues Travel Bans As Winter Blast Nears
- Sit. Stay. Call 911: FIDO Vest Gives Service Dogs An Upgrade
- Winter Storm On Its Way
- New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Arrested On Corruption Charges
- NYS Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Charged in Corruption Scheme
Arts & Culture
Fri October 19, 2012
Any Questions? #60
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel try some sleight of hand with a show about magic.
Last week's challenge
Think of two of Broadway musical titles that each have four letters. Rearrange those eight letters to spell a two-word phrase (four letters in each word) that names something that an indoor performance wouldn't need. What are the musicals and what is the thing?
Answer: The musicals are AIDA and RENT. Rearranging the letters, you can spell RAIN DATE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MAGICIANS
On-air questions: On October 19, 2003, magician David Blaine emerged from a glass box suspended over the south bank of the Thames River, completing a 44-day fast inside the box. Inspired by that feat, this week's quiz is about magicians.
1. In the collection of the American Museum of Magic are the milk can and the wooden crate (called the “overboard box”) used by what magician as part of his famous escape acts?
2. In 1972, James Randi accused self-proclaimed psychic Uri Geller of being a fraud. Geller was famous for claiming to perform what cutlery-related feat using his mind?
3. Magicians Penn & Teller appeared on a 2004 episode of what long-running drama, performing a controversial magic trick at Zoey Bartlet's birthday party?
4. In a 1986 TV special, magician David Copperfield performed an illusion in which he appeared to walk through a section of what landmark?
5. Fischbacher and Horn are the last names of what magicians, whose Las Vegas act ended in 2003 when one of them was bitten on-stage by one of their trademark white tigers?
1. In 2006, two movies about magicians were released: one starring Edward Norton and one starring Christian Bale. What are the titles of these two films?
2. In 1999, magician Lance Burton performed an illusion in which he escaped from the path of The Desperado, which held the 1996 world record for the tallest what in the U.S.?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase ESCAPE ARTIST. Change one letter to a K, then rearrange the letters to spell three four-letter words that each name something an escape artist might try to get out of. What are they? (As a hint, one is plural and the other two are singular.)
1. Harry Houdini
3. The West Wing
4. The Great Wall of China
5. Siegfried & Roy
1. The Illusionist and The Prestige
2. Roller coaster