WAMC’s Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats on this week’s Any Questions, which focuses on UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITES
Last week's challenge: Start with the phrase VICE PRESIDENT. Change one letter to a T, and you can rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (seven letters in the first word, six letters in the second) for what fortune tellers do. What is the phrase?
ANSWER: Change one I to a T, and you can rearrange the remaining letters to spell PREDICT EVENTS.
On-air questions: On November 16, 1945, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, or UNESCO, was founded. Today’s quiz is about UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
1. The Australian site noted for its 1,500 species of fish, the dugong (or manatee) and large green turtle that was listed in 1981
2. The first natural heritage site added to the list from the U.S. is this national park, which contains two-thirds of the world’s geysers
3. The Marshall Islands has only one World Heritage Site, a nuclear test site where the United States detonated the first H-Bomb in 1952. What is it called?
4. The Ecuadorian capital founded on Incan ruins that survived a 1917 earthquake and has a preserved historic center today
5. Pure trivia: As of 2012, this country has the most World Heritage Sites with 47. (As a hint: one site is a fifth-century founded city that is spread out among 118 islands.)
1. This site, added to the registry in 1992, is noted for its various temples and Khmer artifacts and today attracts nearly half of all visitors to Cambodia
2. Location of the World Heritage Site Masada, a natural fortress where locals finally fell to the Roman army in 73 A.D.
This week's challenge
Take the seven-letter name of a country that is home to World Heritage Sites. Drop the first letter and the last two letters, and you'll be left with another country home to World Heritage Site the Land of Frankincense. What are the countries?
1. The Great Barrier Reef
2. Yellowstone National Park
3. Bikini Atoll Nuclear Test Site
1. Angkor Wat