WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel embark on a show about Doctor "Who."
Last week's challenge
Take the seven-letter name of a country that is home to World Heritage Sites. Drop the first letter and the last two letters, and you'll be left with another country home to World Heritage Site the Land of Frankincense. What are the countries?
Answer: If you drop the first and last two letters of ROMANIA, you're left with OMAN.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: WHO?
On-air questions: On November 23, 1963, the BBC aired the first episode of Doctor Who, which is the longest-running science-fiction television show of all time. (The initial broadcast was delayed by 80 seconds because of coverage of JFK's assassination.) Since we already did doctors – way back in episode two – each correct answer this week will contain the word WHO.
1. What is the first line of the nursery rhyme whose last two lines are “She gave them some broth without any bread / Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed”?
2. A Cole Porter song sung by Frank Sinatra and Celeste Holm in the 1956 movie High Society inspired the title of what game show which premiered in the U.S. in 1999?
3. The 1956 Oscar for Best Song was awarded to Doris Day's rendition of "Que Sera Sera." The song was featured in what Alfred Hitchcock film starring Day and Jimmy Stewart, a remake of a 1934 Hitchcock film of the same name?
4. "A person's a person, no matter how small" is the moral of what 1954 Dr. Seuss book, which features a large character from a previous Seuss book and many tiny characters that would appear in a future Seuss book?
5. What is the title of the only two-part episode of The Simpsons to date, airing as the finale of Season 6 and the premiere of Season 7?
1. What is the English translation of "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate," the last line of the inscription that appears on the gates of Hell in Dante's Divine Comedy?
2. Of the 11 studio albums (not including compilations) released by The Who between 1965 and 2006, four of them contain the word "who." Name any two.
This week's challenge
Think of an eight-letter word that names a piece of equipment you might find in a workshop. The word has the consecutive letters W-H-O in it. If you drop those letters, you can rearrange the remaining five letters to spell the name of a store where you might buy that equipment. What is the equipment and what is the store?
1. "There was an old woman who lived in a shoe"
2. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
3. The Man Who Knew Too Much
4. Horton Hears a Who
5. Who Shot Mr. Burns?
1. "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"
2. The Who Sell Out, Who's Next, The Who By Numbers, Who Are You