Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Arts & Culture
Fri November 30, 2012
Any Questions? #66
Perhaps paving the way for their own greatest hits release, WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel reflect this week on landmark albums.
Last week's challenge
Think of an eight-letter word that names a piece of equipment you might find in a workshop. The word has the consecutive letters W-H-O in it. If you drop those letters, you can rearrange the remaining five letters to spell the name of a store where you might buy that equipment. What is the equipment and what is the store?
Answer: The equipment is a SAWHORSE, and the store is SEARS.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: BEST-SELLING ALBUMS
On-air questions: On November 30, 1982, Michael Jackson's album Thriller was released. Various sources estimate that between 65 million and 100 million copies have been sold worldwide, making it the best-selling album of all time. To commemorate that milestone, this week's quiz is about other top-selling albums.
1. Among the 11 albums that have sold at least 40 million copies, there are three movie soundtracks: those for The Bodyguard, Dirty Dancing, and what other movie, whose soundtrack contains six songs by the Bee Gees?
2. What Canadian singer appears on four of the best-selling albums of all time: three of her own releases, and the soundtrack to the movie Titanic?
3. The only greatest hits album to sell more than 40 million copies to date is the album called Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) by what rock band?
4. There is only one album with sales of at least 30 million copies whose title has a Z in it. The title of this 1971 album is the band's name followed by the Roman numeral four. What rock band released this album?
5. The first album to receive a gold record for sales of over one million copies was what singer's album Calypso, which opens with the song “Day-o”?
1. The country album that has sold the most copies worldwide is the 1997 album Come on Over by what country superstar?
2. Among the albums that have sold at least 30 million copies, the one with the shortest title is a compilation album released in 2000. What is the album's single-character title?
This week's challenge
Start with the titles of two other best-selling albums by Michael Jackson: Bad and Dangerous. Change one letter to an R, and you can rearrange the result to spell a five-letter word for something that makes music and a seven-letter word for things that can help you hear music. What are they?
1. Saturday Night Fever
2. Celine Dion
3. The Eagles
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Harry Belafonte
1. Shania Twain
2. 1 (by The Beatles)