Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Arts & Culture
Fri December 21, 2012
Any Questions? #69
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel undertake what might well be their very last show.
Last week's challenge
Think of an eight-letter word beginning with T that names a part of an airport. Change one letter to an O to spell the name of a foreign city. What is the word and what is the city?
Answer: The word is TERMINAL. If you change the T to an O, you can spell MONTREAL.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: APOCALYPSES
On-air questions: We’re not sure why we're even bothering to do this show. The world is going to end today. It may even have already happened. But, if we must do a quiz this week, we might as well do one about apocalypses.
1. In the book of Revelation, a group of four is summoned when the first four of seven seals are opened. Commonly referred to as War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death, what is this group collectively known as?
2. The third verse of a 1987 R.E.M. song with an apocalyptic-sounding title lists four people who each have the initials L. B., including Leonard Bernstein (whose name is shouted as the music stops). What is the title of this song?
3. A 2009 parody novel, in which Mr. Bennet trains his daughters to fight the zombies roaming the English countryside, incorporates the plot of which classic Jane Austen novel?
4. In a classic episode of The Twilight Zone, Burgess Meredith plays a bookworm who, after surviving a nuclear bomb explosion, has all the time to read that he wants. What is the twist at the end of this episode?
5. Although nominated for Best Picture, Apocalypse Now lost to Kramer vs. Kramer in that category and two others (Best Adapted Screenplay and Directing), meaning who went 0-for-3 at that year's Academy Awards?
1. The seventh through twelfth chapters of what book of the Hebrew Bible contain accounts of four apocalyptic visions (seen by the man after whom the book is named) that immediately follow the story of the same man's ordeal in a lion's den?
2. Ragnarök, the term in Norse mythology for a series of events that will bring about the end of the world, was translated into German and became the title of what opera, the fourth in Richard Wagner’s Ring cycle?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase THE RAPTURE. Change one letter to an M, then rearrange the result to spell two five-letter words used in in a game of bridge. What are they?
1. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
2. "It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"
3. Pride and Prejudice
4. His glasses break
5. Francis Ford Coppola