Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Arts & Culture
Fri February 1, 2013
Any Questions? #75
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for a quiz about the silver screen.
On-air questions: On February 1, 1893, construction was completed on the Black Maria, Thomas Edison's New Jersey movie studio that is considered the first movie studio in the U.S. So today's quiz is all about the silver screen.
1.Woody Allen has been nominated for more than 20 Academy Awards, but only once as an actor. In which Best Picture winner did that performance come?
2. The 2012 50th Anniversary DVD release of what epic film contains special features with these titles: "The Camels Are Cast" and "Wind, Sand and Star."
3. On the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 films, only one movie in the 10 was released after than 1980. What is it? (The movie was released in 1993 and shot in Poland.)
4. Because Groundhog Day is February 2: Character actor Stephen Tobolowsky played the memorable role of Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day. On which FOX TV show did he play a club adviser named Sandy Ryerson?
5. The top two highest-grossing films of all time earned 2.7 and 2.1 billion dollars in worldwide box office grosses, respectively. Who was the director of both of these films, and what are the films?
1. The famous (or infamous) Citizens United Supreme Court ruling defined corporations as people, freeing their political spending. The case originally concerned a controversial documentary about whom?
2. Which Best Picture Oscar winner has the longest running time?
This week's challenge
Start with the six-letter name for a group of people seen in theaters. Add a letter and you can name another group of people often heard in theaters. Who are these people?
1. Annie Hall
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. Schindler's List
5. James Cameron, Avatar, Titanic
1. Hillary Clinton
2. Gone With The Wind