Any Questions? #79
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel begin a month of March Madness with this week's program, which focuses on documentaries.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase MIKE AND IAN. Change one letter to a G, then rearrange the result to spell two people you might find in a fairy tale. Who are they?
Answer: If you change one of the As to a G, you can spell KING and MAIDEN.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MARCH MADNESS No. 1 – DOCUMENTARIES
On-air questions: It's almost time for college basketball tournament time, which many people know as March Madness. Here on Any Questions?, we're going to do our own version of March Madness: all of the categories this month will be inspired by a different “march.” This week, the 2005 film March of the Penguins provides that inspiration: we've got some questions about documentaries.
1. The first documentary to win two Academy Awards was what 2006 film about former Vice President Al Gore and his slideshow about climate change?
2. Based on a 2003 book, a documentary subtitled The Smartest Guys in the Room tells the story of the collapse of what corporation, beginning with a profile of its founder Kenneth Lay?
3. Two documentaries from 2007, one titled Chasing Ghosts and another titled The King of Kong both tell the stories of people who became famous as record-holders in what entertainment genre?
4. A 2006 documentary titled Shut Up and Sing chronicles a three-year period in the life of a country trio after their lead singer made a controversial remark about George W. Bush. What trio is the subject of this film?
5. In 1894, Thomas Edison filmed one of his assistants taking a pinch of snuff and the subsequent reaction. The five-second film, which was the first copyrighted motion picture in the U.S., is appropriately titled Fred Ott's what?
1. Which Academy Award-winning filmmaker directed a 1984 concert film starring Talking Heads, a 1998 documentary about singer Robyn Hitchcock, and three films featuring Neil Young in concert?
2. The Up Series is a series of documentaries chronicling the lives of 14 children in England. A new installment is filmed every how many years, which is also the age of the children in the first episode, filmed in 1964?
This week's challenge
Start with the title of the 2008 documentary MAN ON WIRE. Change one letter to an E, and rearrange those nine letters to spell the two-word name of an official governmental mode of transportation. What is it?
1. An Inconvenient Truth
3. Video games
4. The Dixie Chicks
1. Jonathan Demme