Hosted by WAMC’s Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel, this week’s Any Questions? continues a run of March Madness shows – this one focusing on famous sisters.
Last week's challenge
Start with the title of the 2008 documentary MAN ON WIRE. Change one letter to an E, and rearrange those nine letters to spell the two-word name of an official governmental mode of transportation. What is it?
Answer: If you change the W to an E, you can spell MARINE ONE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: MARCH MADNESS No. 2: FAMOUS SISTERS
On-air questions: We're doing our own version of March Madness, and this week our “march” comes from literature. Written in the 1860s, Louisa May Alcott's Little Women introduces us to Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: the March sisters. Inspired by that classic coming-of-age novel, this week our quiz is about famous sisters.
1. They were born Esther Pauline and Pauline Esther Friedman, and they became two of the most widely-read newspaper columnists. By what pen names do we know these sisters?
2. What tennis superstars are the only two women since 1968 to have played each other in four consecutive Grand Slam finals?
3. Directed by Woody Allen, the 1986 film Hannah and Her Sisters stars Mia Farrow as Hannah and Michael Caine as her husband. Which two actresses play Hannah's sisters?
4. Named for siblings in Greek mythology, the star cluster commonly known as the Seven Sisters is officially know by what eight-letter word starting with P?
5. What all-female rock band, known for hits like “Walk Like an Egyptian” and “Manic Monday,” features two sisters along with lead singer Susanna Hoffs?
1. Ultimately losing to Elizabeth Taylor for her portrayal of Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, what famous acting sisters were both nominated for Best Actress in the same year (one for her role in Georgy Girl, the other for Morgan!)?
2. In May of 1934, the first known set of quintuplets to survive past infancy was born in Ontario. What is the last name of this famous set of five sisters?
This week's challenge
Start with the name of the 1992 film SISTER ACT. Change one letter to an R, then rearrange the letters to spell a word that names particular modes of transportation and a word that names important parts of those modes. What are the words?
1. Ann Landers and Abigail van Buren
2. Venus and Serena Williams
3. Barbara Hershey and Dianne Wiest
5. The Bangles
1. Lynn and Vanessa Redgrave