WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel celebrate tomatoes.
Last week's challenge
Start with the word GRANITE. Add a letter and rearrange the result in two different ways to get two words that you might hear in a math class. What are they?
Answer: If you add an L, you can rearrange the result to spell INTEGRAL and TRIANGLE.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: TOMATOES
On-air questions: On May 10, 1893, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Nix v. Hedden, a case that affirmed a lower court's ruling that a tomato is a vegetable under customs regulations, even though, botanically speaking, it's a fruit. In honor of that decision, our quiz this week is about tomatoes.
1. In 2012, Campbell's produced special-edition cans of tomato soup with labels in a variety of colors to commemorate the 50th anniversary of "32 Campbell Soup Cans," painted by what famous pop artist?
2. Inspired by his high-altitude tricks and his red hair, The Flying Tomato is a nickname given to Shaun White, a two-time Olympic gold medalist in what winter sport?
3. "You like to-may-toes and I like to-mah-toes" is a lyric from "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off," a song featured in the 1937 film Shall We Dance starring what famous on-screen duo?
4. Hang On Little Tomato is a 2004 album by Pink Martini, a band that has, on subsequent albums and at recent live performances, featured what NPR White House correspondent as lead singer?
5. Besides tomato juice, what is the main ingredient in a cocktail often called a Calgary Red-Eye in Canada and cerveza preparada in Mexico?
1. The Pittsburgh-based H.J. Heinz Company (famous for, among other products, tomato ketchup) purchased the naming rights to the football stadium in its home city. The facility, which opened in 2001, replaced what iconic Pittsburgh football stadium as the home of the Steelers?
2. Adapted into a 1991 movie starring Mary Stuart Masterson and Kathy Bates, the novel Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle-Stop Cafe was written by what comedienne and author, perhaps best-known for this novel and as her appearances as a panelist on the game show Match Game?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase TOMATO PASTE. Rearrange these letters to spell two other words that name foods. (As a hint, one word is singular and one is plural.)
1. Andy Warhol
3. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers
4. Ari Shapiro
1. Three Rivers Stadium
2. Fannie Flagg