WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for a show about Watergate.
Last week's challenge
Think of a six-letter word starting with E associated with a famous codebreaking event in history. Change one letter to an R and rearrange the result to get another word associated with that event. What are the words?
Answer: The word is Enigma. If you replace the I with an R, you can rearrange the letters to spell German.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: WATERGATE
On-air questions: On May 31, 2005, Mark Felt ended decades of speculation by revealing that he was the source known as Deep Throat who helped guide the Washington Post’s Watergate investigative reporting. So today’s quiz is all about Watergate.
1. Journalist Carl Bernstein, half of the famed reporting duo that uncovered the Watergate plot, authored a 2007 biography called A Woman In Charge. Who is the subject of this book?
2. The 2008 film Frost/Nixon, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, is about the 1977 interviews between David Frost and President Richard Nixon. Who directed this film?
3. Sticking with movies: Which actor portrayed Deep Throat, often seen smoking in the shadows of a parking garage, in the film version of All The President’s Men? (As a hint, he has had a long career portraying Mark Twain.)
4. Watergate journalist Bob Woodward frequently writes about the presidency, but he also authored 1984’s Wired, about the fast life and early death of which SNL comedian?
5. Back to Watergate journalist Carl Bernstein for this one. Bernstein was married for a few years to which Oscar-winning director and screenwriter, who died in 2012?
1. The Watergate break-in was ultimately linked to a Nixon fundraising arm that took on which pejorative nickname?
2. The term “non-denial denial” is often attributed to this man, a longtime Washington Post editor who helmed the paper’s Watergate coverage?
This week's challenge
Start with the last name of an actor in All The President’s Men. If you add three letters, you can rearrange to name a key figure in the Watergate affair. Who are these people?
1. Hillary Clinton
2. Ron Howard
3. Hal Holbrook
4. John Belushi
5. Nora Ephron
1. CREEP (Committee for the Reelection of the President)
2. Ben Bradlee