Most Active Stories
Arts & Culture
Fri June 21, 2013
Any Questions? #95
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel focus on television parents.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name HARRY POTTER. Change one letter to a C and you can rearrange the result to spell a six-letter word for a type of award and a five-letter word that names a person who might receive that award. What is the award and who is the person?
Answer: If you change one of the Ts to a C, you can spell TROPHY and RACER.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: TV MOMS AND DADS
On-air questions: June 21, 1947 is the birthday of both the actor and the actress who played the parents on the sitcom Family Ties: Michael Gross and Meredith Baxter, respectively. In honor of this amazing coincidence (or is it...?) our quiz this week is about TV sitcom moms and dads.
1. Broadway and television star Elaine Stritch most recently played Colleen, mother of NBC executive Jack Donaghy (played by Alec Baldwin), on what NBC sitcom?
2. In season two of Happy Days, Chuck, the oldest son of which TV parents, was inexplicably written out of the show, leaving only their younger son Richie and their daughter Joanie?
3. Actor Ed O'Neill has played a father on two sitcoms during his career: once as the patriarch to the Bundys, and currently as father of the Pritchett family. What are the titles of these two sitcoms?
4. Fred MacMurray played an aeronautical engineer who was the widowed father to Mike, Robbie, and Chip, the title characters on what sitcom, which ran from 1960 to 1972?
5. In relation to the mom or dad they played on TV, what do Shirley Jones from The Partridge Family, Estelle Harris from Seinfeld, and Tim Allen from Home Improvement have in common?
1. From 1983 to 1984 and again from 1986 to 1990, Vicki Lawrence portrayed the title character on the sitcom Mama's Family, a show which originated as a series of sketch on what other series?
2. Actress Jessica Walter, who plays matriarch Lucille Bluth on the sitcom Arrested Development, also provides the voice for the title character's mother on what FX animated series?
This week's challenge
Start with the first names of the parents on The Brady Bunch: MIKE and CAROL. Drop one letter, and rearrange the remaining eight letters to spell the names of two green foods. What are they?
1. 30 Rock
2. Marion and Howard Cunningham
3. Married...With Children and Modern Family
4. My Three Sons
5. Their character's first names are the same as their real first names
1. The Carol Burnett Show