Any Questions? #96
WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel welcome special guest Trey Graham, an editor for NPR's Digital Media, to play this week's show.
Last week's challenge
Start with the first names of the parents on The Brady Bunch, MIKE and CAROL. Drop one letter, and rearrange the remaining eight letters to spell the names of two green foods. What are they?
Answer: If you drop the C, you can spell LIME and OKRA.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: FAMOUS TRIOS
On-air questions: This week, we are very excited to welcome another Guest Answerer to Any Questions? Trey Graham is an editor for NPR's Digital Media division and the author of the theater section of the most recent edition of Time Out Washington, D.C. Trey is also a regular panelist on NPR's hilarious and smart Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast. You can also follow Trey on Twitter: @treygraham – that's Trey with an E, "Graham" like the cracker.
1. Debuting on Broadway in 1981 and adapted into a 2006 movie, what musical tells the story of a female singing trio from Chicago?
2. "Hi, I’m Larry. This is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl” is how a trio of brothers is introduced on what sitcom about a couple running an inn in Vermont?
3. Lizard and Spock are two additional moves in a variation of a game often used as a fair decision-making method. What are the three options in the classic version, which give the game its most common name?
4. A 1948 film version of Macbeth opens with the three witches creating a voodoo doll of the title character. Which filmmaker directed – and played Macbeth in – this version?
5. Released in 1987 and 1999 respectively, Trio and Trio II are albums featuring collaborations between Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, and what other singer-songwriter?
1. In the U.S., Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors are often referred to as the "Big Three" automakers. Which three makes of automobiles are commonly grouped together in Germany's version of the "Big Three"?
2. In 1811, Beethoven completed a piano trio commonly referred to as the "Archduke Trio." It was so named because it was dedicated to Archduke Rudolf, who took piano lessons from Beethoven. Of what European country was Rudolf the archduke?
This week's challenge
Start with the name TREY GRAHAM. Change one letter to a T (not the one that's there already, of course), and rearrange the result to spell a two-word slang term (four letters in the first word, six letters in the second) for something inside your head. What is the term?
3. Rock, Paper, Scissors
4. Orson Welles
5. Dolly Parton
1. Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW