Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
- From The Museum To The Dorm Room: Williams Art Loan Program
New York News
Wed June 19, 2013
AP Source: Cuomo, Leaders Agree On 4 Casinos
A senior Cuomo administration official says Gov. Andrew Cuomo and legislative leaders struck a late night deal to authorize four upstate casinos and to allow votes on 10 separate women's rights bills including an abortion proposal that appeared to have been blocked in the Senate.
The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal was scheduled to be announced on Wednesday.
Legislative officials immediately disputed some elements of the agreement.
Michael Whyland, spokesman for the Assembly's Democratic majority, says the chamber still plans to vote and approve all 10 items as a single bill.
Senate Republicans refused to pass the abortion proposal they considered an expansion of abortion. A Senate Republican official late Tuesday night said there was no commitment to bring the abortion bill to the floor.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.