Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Thu October 10, 2013
APNewsBreak: NY Argues Casino Suit Filed Too Late
Court papers show New York will argue that a challenge to its referendum to expand casino gambling was filed too late, even though the state didn't release the measure's wording on its website until after the deadline to sue.
The state Board of Elections will say in court Friday that lawyer Eric Snyder missed his chance to sue. The state says in court papers that a judge shouldn't side with Snyder because that would throw the Nov. 5 ballot into chaos and threaten the ability of soldiers in "harm's way" from voting.
The state put the controversial referendum on its web site Aug. 23, well after the deadline to sue.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.