Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New England News
Fri September 21, 2012
Arizona School Lands Free Massachusetts Christian Campus
The owners of an historic campus in western Massachusetts have announced they'll give it away to a Christian college from Arizona that plans to eventually host 5,000 students there.
The Green family of Oklahoma, who founded the Hobby Lobby craft store chain, said Friday that they've selected Grand Canyon University as the recipient of the Northfield campus.
The campus is the former home of the Northfield Mount Hermon prep school, which was founded by evangelist D.L. Moody. The Greens offered to give the campus for free to an organization that would honor Moody's commitment to traditional Christian teachings.
For-profit Grand Canyon was the choice after the other finalist, a mission board of the Southern Baptist Convention, backed out.
The two were the last standing after more than 100 organizations expressed interest in the 217-acre property.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.