Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Hudson Valley News
Fri April 26, 2013
Assault Rifles For Police Patrol Officers
A Columbia County town is outfitting its police with assault-style weapons. The Germantown Town Board unanimously approved the purchase of two Bushmaster AR-15 style Patrol Rifles for the town’s Police Department. The Columbia Paper reports that the town’s five part-time police officers will be trained by the Sheriff’s Office in the use of the new rifles, and will not carry them until the Sheriff’s Office has signed off on their training. Cost of the rifles is $755 each.
Officers currently carry two shotguns when on patrol, locked in the trunk of the police car, in addition to pistols on their persons.