Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
Hudson Valley News
Fri April 26, 2013
Assault Rifles For Police Patrol Officers
A Columbia County town is outfitting its police with assault-style weapons. The Germantown Town Board unanimously approved the purchase of two Bushmaster AR-15 style Patrol Rifles for the town’s Police Department. The Columbia Paper reports that the town’s five part-time police officers will be trained by the Sheriff’s Office in the use of the new rifles, and will not carry them until the Sheriff’s Office has signed off on their training. Cost of the rifles is $755 each.
Officers currently carry two shotguns when on patrol, locked in the trunk of the police car, in addition to pistols on their persons.