Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
New York News
Thu March 28, 2013
Assembly to give final OK to $135B NY budget
The New York state Assembly is set to begin final legislative approval of the $135 billion state budget.
The Assembly plans an early start Thursday and could finish voting by evening, although a late session and Friday session are still possible.
The Senate gave its approval to budget bills in an overnight session that ended at 4 a.m. Wednesday.
The budget includes extending an income tax on millionaires that was to expire next year, an election year. It also continues for three years a big business tax on energy costs that had been set to expire this year.
New Yorkers with incomes between $40,000 and $300,000 who have at least one child would get a $350 check per family just before the 2014 elections.
The budget is due by midnight Sunday.
Copyright Associated Press 2013. All Rights Reserved.