Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
New York News
Fri March 29, 2013
Assembly gives final OK of $135B NY state budget
New York has its third straight on-time budget after decades of missed deadlines.
The Assembly passed the final bills of the $135 billion spending plan just before midnight Thursday.
The budget approved by the Senate Wednesday is due Sunday, the start of the new fiscal year.
Major elements of the budget negotiated by Gov. Andrew Cuomo and legislative leaders includes $350 tax rebate checks for most middle class families and a new minimum wage that will rise to $9 over three years.
The budget also raises billions of dollars by extending two taxes that were due to expire — an income tax surcharge on millionaire earners and a business tax on energy costs.
Businesses will get additional tax breaks including one to encourage the hiring of recent veterans.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.