Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New England News
Fri July 5, 2013
Attendance Appears To Slip At Boston July 4 Events
Attendance appeared down at this year's Fourth of July celebration in Boston, Massachusetts.
Crowds gathering on the Charles River Esplanade for the Boston Pops concert and fireworks display seemed a bit thinner than in recent years. It's unclear if new security restrictions resulting from April's marathon bombing or other factors were responsible.
Gov. Deval Patrick pinned much of the blame for lower turnout on high temperatures that climbed into the 90s. A city health department spokesman says more than 100 people were treated for heat-related problems and three were sent to hospitals.
Organizers ramped up security this year as the city prepared for its first major public gathering since the April 15 bombings that killed three people and injured more than 260. New measures included bag searches, limits on coolers and live video surveillance.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.