Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Mon December 3, 2012
Baystate Hospital Opens New Emergency Center
A brand new $45 million dollar emergency and trauma center will open Monday at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield.
The new emergency center is 55 thousand square feet larger than the old ER, with double the number of patient care rooms..94. There are separate treatment centers for adults and children, and a unit dedicated to people who come in with mental health issues. Dr. Reginald Alouidor, a trauma surgeon says the new facility replaces one that was built in the 1980s and wass receiving almost twice the number of patients it was designed for
There is also a roof top helipad. As the only level 1 trauma center in the region, Baystate’s ER treats critically injuried people from throughout western Massachusetts.