Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Herbert London: Anti-Zionism At Northeastern
Hudson Valley News
Fri March 29, 2013
Beacon prison funding in state budget
ALBANY – The just-adopted state budget includes funds to help redevelop the Beacon Correctional Facility, the women’s prison the governor targeted for closure.
A total of $6 million has been placed in the spending plan to aid in redevelopment of the property, said Assemblyman Frank Skartados (D, Milton), who represents Beacon.
“In the days and weeks ahead I am looking forward to be working with the Beacon officials as well as the Empire State Development Corporation to ensure that these funds are used to develop the facility to its fullest potential,” Skartados said.
Closing down the prison was estimated to save the state $6 million to $8 million a year.