Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New York News
Mon December 24, 2012
Beet juice and brine mix to prevent NY Thruway ice
The New York State Thruway is getting special treatment this winter to help prevent icing. More from WAMC's Dave Lucas.
Crews will be spreading a mixture of sugar beet juice and brine ahead of storms to help head off icing along the 570-mile highway system.
The Thruway Authority says that won't replace rock salt, but the mixture has worked out as pre-treatment.
It expects to use 180,000 tons of rock salt, 175,000 gallons of salt brine and 50,000 gallons of the juice and brine mix this winter.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.