Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Thu September 20, 2012
Bennington College President to Retire
The president of Bennington College will retire at the end of the academic year after 25 years as head of the private, liberal arts college in Vermont.
During her tenure, Elizabeth Coleman has overseen the college's greatest growth period in its 80-year-history.
The institution has raised more than $175 million and constructed six buildings in her 25 years and had an all-time high enrollment of nearly 700 undergraduates and 136 graduate students in the last academic year.
The Bennington Banner reports that admissions applications also have doubled since her start to about 1,200 for the current freshman class.
The college's board of trustees is appointing a committee to search for a new president.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.