Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
WAMC New York News
Thu September 30, 2004
Berkshires Spared from HUD Changes But Housing Problems Persist
By Kelly Wilkinson
Boston, MA – Changes to a federal housing program take effect across the country tomorrow. The Section 8 program provides subsidies to private landlords that help pay a portion of a tenant's rent. The amount of funding for the program has been in flux, as the Bush Administration says costs need to be contained, and housing advocates say the government is shortchanging the program. WAMC's Berkshire Bureau Chief Kelly Wilkinson has a look at what impact the changes have locally.