Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
The Best of Our Knowledge
Wed January 23, 2013
The Best Of Our Knowledge #1166
Many of us are still trying to make some kind of sense out of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Perhaps that’s impossible. But in the days after the shooting people swarmed into the town to try and help. Today on The Best Of Our Knowledge, we’ll hear from a Red Cross volunteer who went to Newtown the day after the shootings.
Then we visit a California prison where inmates are doing their best to steer kids from their crime ridden home town towards education and a better life. We’ll also get a quick update on what is turning out to be a very tough flu season, and spend an academic minute find out that epidemics are all about math.