Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Fri September 14, 2012
Big E Begins This Weekend
The Eastern States Exposition, one of the country’s oldest and largest fairs opens its 17 run Friday . WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The “Big E” is one of western Massachusetts’ biggest economic engines. It attracts more than a million visitors each year to the 175 acre fairgrounds in West Springfield. Big E CEO Gene Cassidy says it remains so popular after 95 years, by getting big name entertainers like this year’s headliners, Alan Jackson and Jeff Dunham, but also staying true to its roots as an agricultural fair.
The “ Big E” is the country’s 8th largest fair, as measured by attendance.