Most Active Stories
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Mon January 6, 2014
"The Big Picture: America In Panorama"
At the turn of the twentieth century, innovations in photographic technology and an American culture of optimism and self-celebration helped create panoramic group photography. Organizations famed and obscure commissioned images that sometimes encompassed a full 360 degrees. No public event, be it circus, train wreck, or Army-Navy football game, was too grand or too humble to deserve its own wide-angle commemoration.
In nearly 100 beautifully reproduced duotone photographs, most published for the first time, The Big Picture brings this shared experience of American history to life.
Collector Josh Sapan’s commentary describes the people and stories behind these captivating images, while celebrated public figures from a variety of fields provide personal reflections that connect these Americans of another era to our own lives today.
Josh Sapan is the CEO of AMC Networks, which operates AMC, WE TV, IFC and Sundance Channel.
Arts & Culture
Arts & Culture