Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Thu October 17, 2013
The Big Read - Poughkeepsie
The Big Read - Poughkeepsie will take place over the next month where this year’s title to read as a community is Cynthia Ozick’s The Shawl. This book was selected in recognition of the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht.
The Little Read companion program for younger readers focuses on titles related to the Holocaust and World War II era, and features the books Number the Stars and The Devil’s Arithmetic.
In The Shawl by Cynthia Ozick, readers will be moved by the story of Rosa Lublin. While Rosa lived through the Holocaust, her tiny daughter Magda did not. Magda’s shawl symbolizes the past that Rosa cannot escape, a life stolen by those she calls thieves, filled with memories of “the horror of the Holocaust and the unfillable emptiness of its aftermath.”
Big Read Coordinator, Jewel Ratzlaff; Dr. Werner Steger, Professor and guest lecturer for The Big Read; and Stephanie Laffin – representing the Poughkeepse City School District she is a Literacy Coach and English Dept. Head join us to tell us more.