Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Wed January 1, 2014
Bill De Blasio Sworn In As 109th Mayor Of NYC.
Bill de Blasio has been sworn in as the 109th mayor of New York City.
He is the first Democrat to occupy City Hall in more than two decades and vows to pursue a sweeping liberal agenda for the nation's largest city.
He took the oath of office in a small ceremony in his Brooklyn home Wednesday, minutes after midnight.
The 52-year-old de Blasio was joined by his wife and their two teenage children. The oath was delivered by state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.
A grander celebration is planned for City Hall at noon. Former President Bill Clinton will deliver the oath.
The new mayor was elected on the promise of being a sharp break from Michael Bloomberg, who leaves office after 12 years.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.