Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Mon June 17, 2013
Bill Would Expand NY Gambling Without Voter OK
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo confirms he is proposing a back-up plan to expand gambling even if voters turn down his casino gambling referendum this fall.
Cuomo spokeswoman Melissa DeRosa says the governor proposes video slot machine centers if his proposal for four Las Vegas-type casinos is defeated. He says he wants to make sure there is an option to produce revenue for local governments and schools if casinos are rejected.
A copy of Cuomo's casino bill obtained Saturday by The Associated Press includes a provision that would authorize video slot machine centers in New York City's outer boroughs and as many as three or four places upstate. The bill provides for the video slot casinos with up to 5,000 machines at each center.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.