Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Wed July 31, 2013
Bill Would Study Possible Mass. 2024 Olympics Bid
The Massachusetts Senate has approved a bill that would study the feasibility of the state hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics.
The bill, sponsored by state Sen. Eileen Donoghue, would create a nine-member commission to analyze all aspects of hosting the games, including infrastructure, transportation, security, lodging, locations, costs, and job creation.
The Lowell Democrat said hosting the Olympics would also give the state what she called "an amplified international profile" that could boost tourism.
The Senate approved the bill on a 38-1 vote Tuesday. The bill now heads to the House.
The bill calls on the commission to complete its report by March 2014.
The United States Olympic Committee hopes to have a short list of potential host cities by the end of this year and will decide which city to recommend in 2014.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.