Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Wed July 31, 2013
Bill Would Study Possible Mass. 2024 Olympics Bid
The Massachusetts Senate has approved a bill that would study the feasibility of the state hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics.
The bill, sponsored by state Sen. Eileen Donoghue, would create a nine-member commission to analyze all aspects of hosting the games, including infrastructure, transportation, security, lodging, locations, costs, and job creation.
The Lowell Democrat said hosting the Olympics would also give the state what she called "an amplified international profile" that could boost tourism.
The Senate approved the bill on a 38-1 vote Tuesday. The bill now heads to the House.
The bill calls on the commission to complete its report by March 2014.
The United States Olympic Committee hopes to have a short list of potential host cities by the end of this year and will decide which city to recommend in 2014.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.