Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
The Book Show
Wed March 29, 2006
The Book Show #924
Albany, NY – Harlem in the early 1940's is the setting for the newest historical novel by Kevin Baker, "Strivers Row." Third in the author's "City of Fire" trilogy of New York novels, the book examines the parallel experiences of Jonah Dove, a Harlem clergyman undergoing a crisis of faith, and a directionless teenager named Malcolm Little who is destined to be known by another name. The novel recreates a Harlem at the end of its period as America's black capital and builds toward an explosive draft riot.