Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Tue April 16, 2013
Boston Marathon Bombings Investigated As Act Of Terrorism
Authorities in Boston continue to comb through a mile-square crime scene as they search for clues to the deadly explosions that brought Monday’s running of the Boston Marathon to a horrific stop.
Forensic specialists are painstakingly examining the areas where two bombs exploded Monday along the final stretch of the Boston Marathon. Surveillance videos are being examined frame by frame, and the public is being urged to bring pictures and video that was taken along the marathon route to the police. Richard DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the Boston FBI office said no one is in custody. At a news conference this morning, DesLauriers said agents have been interviewing witnesses
DesLauriers declined comment on reports that law enforcement officials searched an apartment in the Boston suburb of Revere earlier today in connection with the investigation. There have been no claims of responsibility for the bombings.
Three people were killed, including an 8- year- old boy from Boston. 176 people were injured and 17 are in critical condition, according to Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis. Davis and other law enforcement officials at this morning’s news conference appealed for help from the public. The commissioner said photos and video taken by people along the route of the marathon may contain clues.
Davis said the area had been swept twice for bombs including one just an hour before the explosions.
Authorities also sought to reassure the public. Governor Deval Patrick said there were no unexploded devices found. The only bombs were the two that detonated. The governor and law enforcement officials said there are no known imminent threats.
Security is heightened in Boston. There are police and National Guard troops armed with assault rifles keeping watch outside hotels, hospitals, government buildings and at train and subway stations. The Superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police Col. Timothy Alben said the heightened security will be in place for several days.
A 12- block area of Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood remains blocked off by metal barriers and guarded by police. Residents are not being allow to go their homes and businesses are closed in the area that is home to many upscale restaurants and retailers
Boston Mayor Tom Menino said the city has received offers of help from around the world.
Menino praised the quick response of emergency medical personnel for preventing further loss of life.
New England News