Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Fri August 10, 2012
Boston Race Track Files Casino Application
A venerable horse racing track in Boston, Suffolk Downs, has become the first potential casino developer in Massachusetts to formally apply for a license. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
Suffolk downs submitted a $400,000 non refundable application fee to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, just a day after the formal licensing process began. The owners of the 77 year old race track plan to partner with Caesar’s Entertaintment to bid for the one casino license available in eastern Massachusetts..A spokesperson for Ameristar, which has bought land in Springfield for a casino development, said the Nevada based company intends to become an official applicant, but saw no advantage to paying the $400,000 immediately. The commission said this first step in the licensing process is intended to identify serious developers and allow them to contact state agencies and municipal departments to assist in planning their projects.