Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Sat August 11, 2012
Brown Demands Warren Pay For State's Voter Registration Mailings
U.S. Senator Scott Brown is calling on Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren to reimburse Massachusetts for the expense of mailing voter registration information to welfare recipients. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Warren’s campaign, Friday, dismissed Brown’s request as a “ ridiculous political stunt” Brown and the Mass. Republican Party have asserted that Warren will benefit from the voter registration effort. Massachusetts officials say they spent $276,000 to mail voter registration materials to a half a million welfare recipients in order to settle a lawsuit that alleged the state was violating a federal voter rights law. The Boston Globe reported Friday that Massachusetts was the only state sued that agreed to mail out registration forms. Warren’s daughter is on the board of the organization that sued the states over violations of the 1993 motor voter law..