Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Sat August 11, 2012
Brown Demands Warren Pay For State's Voter Registration Mailings
U.S. Senator Scott Brown is calling on Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren to reimburse Massachusetts for the expense of mailing voter registration information to welfare recipients. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Warren’s campaign, Friday, dismissed Brown’s request as a “ ridiculous political stunt” Brown and the Mass. Republican Party have asserted that Warren will benefit from the voter registration effort. Massachusetts officials say they spent $276,000 to mail voter registration materials to a half a million welfare recipients in order to settle a lawsuit that alleged the state was violating a federal voter rights law. The Boston Globe reported Friday that Massachusetts was the only state sued that agreed to mail out registration forms. Warren’s daughter is on the board of the organization that sued the states over violations of the 1993 motor voter law..