Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
New England News
Tue June 26, 2012
Brown, Patrick Weigh In on Immigration Law Ruling
U.S. Senator Scott Brown and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick are weighing in on a Supreme Court decision throwing out provisions of Arizona's crackdown on illegal immigrants. WAMC’s Lucas Willard reports…
The court also upheld the law's "show me your papers" requirement that police to check the status of people stopped for various reasons who might appear to be in the U.S. illegally.
Brown called the ruling another reminder that the federal government needs to deal with the nation's broken immigration system and that the first step is securing the border.
Patrick said Congress' failure to act has opened the door for state laws that appear tough on immigration but only end up creating an environment of fear.
Also Friday, Patrick said there will not be "an Arizona-type law" in Massachusetts as long as he's governor.
Lucas Willard, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.