Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
WAMC New York News
Wed June 16, 2004
Brownfields Grants Dispersed Throughout Region
By Kelly Wilkinson
Pittsfield, MA – The Environmental Protection Agency announced that $75 million will be put towards revitalizing abandoned industrial sites around the county known as brownfields. They're often eyesores and drags on the local economy. This region received a proportionally large share of that money, from New York to Massachusetts to Vermont. Many of the grants went to places where there's high unemployment, after local manufacturing and industrial economies have collapsed. Kelly Wilkinson has more.