Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New York News
Wed June 16, 2004
Brownfields Grants Dispersed Throughout Region
By Kelly Wilkinson
Pittsfield, MA – The Environmental Protection Agency announced that $75 million will be put towards revitalizing abandoned industrial sites around the county known as brownfields. They're often eyesores and drags on the local economy. This region received a proportionally large share of that money, from New York to Massachusetts to Vermont. Many of the grants went to places where there's high unemployment, after local manufacturing and industrial economies have collapsed. Kelly Wilkinson has more.