Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New York News
Mon November 4, 2013
Buffalo Judge To Rule On Release Of Attica Papers
The New York attorney general's request to release sealed documents about the 1971 riot and retaking of Attica state prison has been assigned to a judge in Buffalo.
According to court officials, the case is before state Supreme Court Justice Patrick NeMoyer, a former Erie County attorney and federal prosecutor in western New York.
Eric Schneiderman seeks sealed volumes of the 1975 Meyer Commission Report in an effort to reveal the fuller history of the nation's bloodiest prison rebellion and answer the questions of families whose loved ones died.
In all, 11 staff and 32 inmates died — all but four shot by troopers and correction officers.
In court papers, the attorney general says remaining privacy concerns can be addressed by omitting names from grand jury testimony in the files.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.