Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
WAMC New York News
Wed December 28, 2005
Business Leaders Seek Ways to Lure Motorists From Bypass
By Pat Bradley
Bennington, VT – When the Bennington Bypass opened last year, it was thought to be a great way to deter truck traffic from the downtown while keeping business traffic intact. But a year later, exactly the opposite has happened. Truck traffic is still lumbering down the main street of Bennington, while merchants are seeing a substantial drop-off in business as tourists drive on the bypass avoiding the town. To try to rectify the problem, the local chamber and a business group hope to rent a billboard to clarify directions and draw people into the city's downtown. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.