Most Active Stories
- NYS Senate Majority Leader Calls Report Of Federal Investigation "Irresponsible"
- New York Train Rider Contracts Measles
- Wrinkles In Schenectady Casino Planning
- James Gurney "Watercolor In The Wild" And Dinotopia At Stamford Museum And Nature Center
- Hinsdale Residents Takes First Step To Recall Select Chair
WAMC New York News
Wed December 28, 2005
Business Leaders Seek Ways to Lure Motorists From Bypass
By Pat Bradley
Bennington, VT – When the Bennington Bypass opened last year, it was thought to be a great way to deter truck traffic from the downtown while keeping business traffic intact. But a year later, exactly the opposite has happened. Truck traffic is still lumbering down the main street of Bennington, while merchants are seeing a substantial drop-off in business as tourists drive on the bypass avoiding the town. To try to rectify the problem, the local chamber and a business group hope to rent a billboard to clarify directions and draw people into the city's downtown. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.