Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Fri June 14, 2013
Calls For Action Mark 6 Months Since Newtown
Six months after the Newtown, Connecticut school shooting, the tragedy will be marked with a moment of silence, the reading of thousands of names of gun violence victims and calls around the country to pass legislation expanding background checks for gun purchases.
Family members, elected officials and other leaders will gather in Newtown today for a day of remembrance and a call to action. Mayors Against Illegal Guns will launch a bus tour to 25 states to build support for background checks.
The mayors group is also holding events in 10 states calling for expanded background checks. Legislation to expand background checks failed in the Senate in April.
A gunman killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.