Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Mon September 17, 2012
Campaign Committee Formed To Oppose Casino Vote
A campaign committee has been created to oppose the development of a resort casino in Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
A Springfield attorney, Michael Kogut, filed legal paperwork with the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s office to register a political committee, called “ Citizens Against Casino Gaming” The committee will begin to raise money in a bid to defeat a casino question if and when it gets to the ballot in Springfield. Kogut knows they’ll be no match, financially ,for the casino lobby.
Before a casino company can apply for a license from the state, local voters must approve the project.. At least four companies are interested in putting a casino in Springfield.