Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
New England News
Mon September 17, 2012
Campaign Committee Formed To Oppose Casino Vote
A campaign committee has been created to oppose the development of a resort casino in Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
A Springfield attorney, Michael Kogut, filed legal paperwork with the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s office to register a political committee, called “ Citizens Against Casino Gaming” The committee will begin to raise money in a bid to defeat a casino question if and when it gets to the ballot in Springfield. Kogut knows they’ll be no match, financially ,for the casino lobby.
Before a casino company can apply for a license from the state, local voters must approve the project.. At least four companies are interested in putting a casino in Springfield.