Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Tue October 22, 2013
Capitanio Indicted, Pleads Not Guilty
Pittsfield, Massachusetts City Councilor Paul Capitanio has been indicted on drug conspiracy and accessory charges for allegedly buying illegal prescription drugs and tipping off a dealer about an August drug bust.
Capitanio's attorney told The Berkshire Eagle Monday his client, who represents the city's Ward 3, continues to deny the allegations against him, including those that he is an oxycodone addict.
According to Massachusetts State Police, the 57 year-old Capitanio was buying pills from an unnamed dealer when he gave him information on an upcoming raid.
Police say the dealer was caught on tape during a Berkshire County Drug Task Force wiretap investigation telling the kingpin of the drug organization, that a "councilman friend" had tipped him off about upcoming drug raids. The dealer allegedly later told police he was referring to Capitanio.