Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Thu October 11, 2012
Casino Bids Due In Springfield
Casino operators who have expressed interest in building in Springfield Massachusetts are facing a Thursday deadline to make their intentions known. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports
Companies that want in on the competition to build a casino in Springfield have until 5pm Thursday to put in a bid, which includes a statement of qualifications and preliminary plans. Mayor Domenic Sarno said this first phase will separate the contenders from the pretenders.
The mayor and his economic development team hope to complete a detailed analysis of the casino development proposals by the end of April and recommend one or more projects for a binding voter referendum that could occur in June . The town of Palmer is also expected to be in on the larger competition for the one resort casino license the Massachusetts Gaming Commission is authorized to issue in western Massachusetts.