Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Thu September 12, 2013
Casino Combatants Take Stock Following Hard Rock's Defeat
The focus of the casino competition in western Massachusetts shifts to Palmer following this week’s vote in West Springfield that killed one casino project.
Jennifer Baruffaldi,spokesperson for a pro-casino group in Palmer said she is delighted to have Hard Rock removed as a competitor for the lone casino license available in western Massachusetts.
Iris Cardin, co-chair of an anti-casino group in Palmer, said it was heartening to see the grassroots activists in West Springfield defeat a casino industry giant at the polls.
Palmer will vote on November 5th on Mohegan Sun’s plans for a $1 billion resort casino. Voters in Springfield in July endorsed a casino project proposed by MGM.